- Mars InSIGHT mission:
A mission to newly instrument Mars with new seismometers, heatflow sensors, and reflectors for geodetic imaging.
Landing on Mars Nov 26!
- Body Waves: P and S waves
P and S waves are the two fundamental elastic waves that are generated during an earthquake.
fit between Africa and South America (figure from Stein and Wysession, 2003).
- Separation of Arrivals on Seismogram
(figure from Stein and Wysession, 2003)
- Seismic Wave Propagation through Earth
(figure from Stein and Wysession, 2003).
- Because different waves travel different paths and speeds, their arrivals change and direct waves become more spread out
at greater distances (a.k.a. moveout).
(figure from www.iris.edu).
- Global Predicted Arrival Time Table
Figure shows the predicted arrival of earthquake seismic phases at locations around the world.